Characteristics of a computer - Computer Fundamental
03-11-2019 1640 times
What are characteristic of a computer?
Basic characteristics about computer are:
- Speed: - Computer can work faster than fast. It takes only few seconds for thousands of calculations or processing. Today a modern computer can perform millions (1,000,000) of instructions per second.
- Accuracy: - Accuracy is the most important features of computer. You can instruct lakhs of calculations or logical task to the computer, but it can perform it flawlessly.
- Diligence: - Tiredness, lack of concentration, fatigue is an unknown word for a computer. It can continuously hard work for a thousand hours without creating any error. Millions of calculations can perform with a computer with the same accuracy for every calculation. But it is near about impossible for a human. For this characteristic of computer, it overpowers human being in routine type of work.
- Versatility: - Computer can perform different type of work simultaneously. You may use your computer to sing a song and at the next moment you may use it for electronic payment for telephone bills.
- Power of Remembering: - If computer puts any data or information into the secondary memory, then you can retrieve it any time. And also it will be never changed if it doesn’t change by the user or any hardware failure.
- No IQ: - Computer has huge memory and processing power but it has no thinking power, but we give any instruction to it manually or store the instructions in its memory for executing then computer process it and execute it. Therefore, we may define a computer as a dumb machine.
- No Feeling: - Computer never feeling tried to execute the instructions because it has feelings or emotion, taste, knowledge and experience.
- Storage: - Computer can store data or information in different type of memory. The quantity of data stored in a computer depends on the capacity of the memory. It can also store data in secondary storage devices such as hard disk, floppies, CDROM which can be kept outside your computer and can be carried to other computers.