The nearly 200-year-old mansion at 85A Raja Rammohun Sarani, known as Raja Rammohun Roy Memorial Museum, reverberates with the history.
Located in the bustling Esplanade Tram Depot in the heart of the city of Calcutta, ‘Smaranika’, theTram Museum, is an Exhibition on tram in a tram.
The Eastern Railway Rail Museum, located around 500m south to the Howrah station, is the second railway museum in India and the first of its kind in the eas ...
The Institute of Cultural Research in Kankurgachi in Calcutta, hosts a boat museum, which is one of the most unique museums in the country.
Located at 113 Acharya Prafulla Chandra Roy Road, near Maniktala and occupying a huge area of 2,000 square feet, the Police Museum.
A red and white building on Blackburn Lane houses the Toong On Church, which is not really a church, a Chinese temple, dedicated to the warrior God Kwan-Ti.
Gauhar Jaan, a forgotten figure in the world of Indian classical music and the first musician of the Subcontinent to record commercially on the gramophone.
Situated along the Judges Court Road and considered as one of the impressive creations of the early colonial age, the Hastings House is said to be one of th ...
There is a life-size equestrian statue of Rana Pratap Singh in Calcutta, located opposite to the Central Station of the Calcutta Metro Railways.
The amazing big and round clock that one can find on the wall just behind the busy counter of the iconic sweetmeat shop of Bhim Chandra Nag has a specialty ...
The Indian Association or Bharat Sabha Hall, a Heritage building in the city of Calcutta, is located at 62 BB Ganguly Street in Bowbazar area.
Constructed in the year 1891 and located on 7 B. C. Street, of College Square, the Calcutta University Institute, known as the University Institute Hall.
Many people, especially people living in the southern part of Calcutta, must be aware of a mosque in the Dhakuria Lake, renamed Rabindra Sarobar in May 1958.
The twin temples, situated within the campus of the modern Garia Burning Ghat, were considered as built more than 350 years ago by Srimanta Saodagar.
Located on PK Sana Lane, within the premises of Sri Sri Ramkrishna Ashram in Baranagar area, Mani Mandir is popularly known as Kancher Mandir.
Located at 4/1 Beadon Street, subsequently renamed Dani Ghosh Sarani, Chaitanya Library owes its origin to Gaur Hari Sen and his friend Kunj Behari Dutta.
Emerged at the dawn of the 20th century, the Boys’ Own Library and Young Men’s Institute was founded by three school-going teenagers, K. P. Ghosh, J. K. De ...
The tall building of the Young Men’s Christian Association of Calcutta came up on 25A Chowringhee Road, in 1902. Along with its female counterpart (YWCA).
Standing tall on 23 Jawaharlal Nehru Road, with its massive hanging porch, an impressive ochre yellow building wears the name Bible Society in bold on its f ...
Initially, the Bishop House in Calcutta was located at 5 Russell Street, as James Pattle, the owner of the building, leased it to the British East India Com ...
Most of us are unaware about the existence of a chapel in the heritage buildings in the SSKM Hospital. Michael Madhusudan Dutt, was admitted on 22 June 1873
The Eden Hindu Hostel, was established in 1886 primarily for housing the Hindu students of Presidency College, who came to the city from the districts
There is no document to point out the exact hanging spot, where Maharaja Nandakumar was executed on 5 Aug 1775. Maharaja Nandakumar was an infamous episodes.
The Eden Garden in Calcutta is equipped with many attractions, like the Bandstand, Pagoda, the water fountains, Orchid house, Butterfly garden and others.
A piece of land was bought at the bank of Adi Ganga. A garden was created surrounding the ground area, which came to be known as the Mysore Garden.
Manohar das Tarag, located almost opposite Lindsay Street, was neither dug up by the British nor dredged up for the purpose of public usage
Before the construction of the Tallah Tank, Calcutta entirely dependent on its water bodies and the River Hoogly for its water supply.
Located on 296/B Rabindra Sarani, calcutta, just opposite to the Ghariwali Building, stands gracefully the massive building of the Lohia Matri Seva Sadan.
There is a small auditorium adjoining the complex of Jadavpur University, called Indumati Sabhagriha. In fact, it is the auditorium of the National Council ...
Located on 166 BB Ganguly Street, the massive building of Basumati Sahitya Mandir, with prominent Rajasthani architectural features from its portal onwards.
The massive building of the Bangiya Sahitya Parishad, located on 243/1 Upper Circular Road, calcutta, now known as Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road
Binodini Dasi, popularly known as Nati Binodini, was born in 1862 in an infamous area of Calcutta, mainly inhabited by the sex workers. Her family was too poor.
Located in the Chowringhee area, on Jawaharlal Nehru Road, near the crossing of Lenin Sarani, the massive building of Imperial House is not at all reputed.
Satyajit Ray was born and spent his childhood in a house located on 100A Garpar Road in Calcutta. This is the last residence of Upendra Kishore Roychowdhury.
At the instance of Swami Vivekananda, his Irish disciple Sister Nivedita, alias Miss Margaret Elizabeth Noble started a school for the Indian girls in Calcutta.
The dilapidated building with a private diagnostic centre, allegedly running illegally on its ground floor, was once the residence of Michael Madhusudan Dutt
Henry Louis Derozio was born in that massive building on 18 April 1809 and the first seeds of Bengal Renaissance were sowed in the said house, located at 15 ...
People of Calcutta are aware of a long stretch of road from AJC Bose Road in the north to Hazra Road in the south, known as Harish Mukherjee Road.
College Street Coffee House, situated at the crossing of College Street and Bankim Chandra Chatterjee Street - just opposite Presidency College, calcutta.
Born on 17 December 1829, William Fraser McDonnell was Educated at Cheltenham College and East India Company College(the Haileybury and Imperial Service Col ...
. It is interesting to note that, there is also a Baba and Mai monument in Paramaribo, installed at the place of arrival of the emigrants.
The socio-political situation in West Bengal was quite messy. The continuous flow of Hindu families from the former East Pakistan was a major problem.
The arch shaped memorial was dedicated to Ronald Ross, who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1902 for his work on the transmission o ...
Probably it was constructed with the Indo-Saracenic ideas, complete with a circular arch with thorny pointed ends. It was actually built as the Prince of Wa ...
It was named 'Panioty Fountain' and was dedicated to the memory of Demetrius Panioty for his faithful and assiduous service towards the Indian Empire.
Charles Stuart was one of the few British officers to embrace Hindu culture, married an Indian lady and thus earned the nickname â€˜Hindoo Stuartâ€™.
David Hare, a watchmaker by profession, was born in Scotland in 1775 and came to India in 1800 to make a fortune in his profession as a watchmaker.
Most of us, the people of Calcutta, do not have any idea about the existence of the Armenian Genocide Memorial in Calcutta. It is located in the Churchyard ...
Bow Barracks is located in the heart of the city of Calcutta. The barrack consists of six blocks of three-storeyed buildings that border the narrow lane.
It is the statue of Maharaja of Darbhanga, Sir Lakshmishwar Singh Bahadur, the most notable person in the Darbhanga Raj Family.