It was the dawn of a new era, when on 29th January 1780, Hicky’s Bengal Gazette, the first newspaper in Asia, was published for the first time
Almost parallel to Old Court House Street, there is a stretch of road, known as Council House Street that connects the southwest portion of the Government H ...
Once upon a time there was an Ice house in Calcutta, built exclusively to store ice for the consumption of the European community of the city.
Built in 1917, the College Street Market, supposed to be the third oldest market in the city, has become the victim of modrenisation. There are many markets ...
Located on Lindsay Street, opposite to the entrance of New Market, Globe Cinema Hall was originally a wooden opera House, known as the Old Opera House.
Situated on 2 Humayun Place, on the western side of the Hogg Market alias New Market, the Lighthouse Cinema Hall was established in 1934
Located at 5 Jawaharlal Nehru Road, next to the palatial Metropolitan Building, Metro Cinema Hall was opened by Metro Goldwyn-Mayer, an American Production ...
The building of the Chaplin Cinema hall was completely demolished and erased from the face of Calcutta in 2003.
Hamilton and Co is the name of a famous jewellery and silversmithing shop, which once had a roaring business in the Colonial City of Calcutta.
The first Indian Army & Navy Stores was opened in Bombay in 1891, while the Calcutta branch was ceremoniously opened ten years later, in 1901.
Hall and Anderson Store, known as the 1st department store in Calcutta, was established by, William Anderson and PN Hall, in a shop in Esplanade East.
Built in 1903, the gracefully dignified Metropolitan Building stands proudly at the busy intersection of the Jawaharlal Nehru Road and SN Banerjee Road.
The Calcutta station of IBC was subsequently shifted from Temple Chamber to a building located on no 1 Garstin Place. All India Radio used to broadcast news ...
The burnt and decayed structure of Bourne and Shepherd, that still stands almost unnoticed like a beggar next to the glamorous Metropolitan Building on S N ...
Dacca Bank, established as early as 1846. It was merged with the Bank of Calcutta and on 2 January 1809, the amalgamated bank was renamed as the Bank of Bengal.
An Institution named, The Sailors Home made these arrangements for the officers and crew members, specifically for the benefit of the British Merchant Marine.
In the later part of February 2018, a demolition brigade hammered down the terrace of the Old Kenilworth Hotel, a heritage hotel in the heart of the Calcutta.
The Auckland Hotel was established in Calcutta by David Wilson in November 1840. Before the opening of the hotel, he was doing a separate business of bakery.
The Firpo's Restaurant was the place where royalty once dined. It was the place where once white men and women used to be involved in merrymaking.
The Spences Hotel, that once stood very near to the north gate of the Rah Bhawan, had its glorious days as well. due to its non-descriptive look.
Opened in 1881 at Government Place in Dalhousie area, Pelitis Restaurant was once a popular eatery and a preferred meeting place of the high society British ...
One of such lost majestic buildings is the ‘Dalhousie Institute’, which once proudly stood on the north-west corner of the Tank Square calcutta.
Born on 29 January 1803 in Derbyshire, James Outram was the son of Benjamin Outram, a civil engineer. In 1854 he was appointed Resident at Lucknow.
Most of the present generation of Calcutta, especially those who born after 1960s, is unfortunate to miss the beauty and elegance of the imposing building o ...
The Bengal National College & School was founded as the outcome of the mass protest against the autocratic rule imposed by the British.
The Fort Williams College, called the College of Fort William and named after King William III, the then Governor General of British India, on July 10, 1800.
During the early days of the British East India Company in Calcutta, St Anne church was the only available place of worship for the English people.
The nine-turreted Nabaratna temple of the Hindu Goddess Kali, built in 1731 on the Chitpore Road, was called the Black Pagoda by the Europeans.
Later, Sans Souci would be shifted to the new building at 10 Park Street, where St. Xaviers College stands today. Sans Souci Theatre shifted there permanently.
the first crossing was with Theatre Road and at that corner stood the imposing building of the Chowringhee Theatre of Calcutta from 1813 to 1839.
It is likely that, though it was built by voluntary, the Play House was patronised by the British India Company. It ceased to exist sometime between Oct.178 ...
John Palmer was the son of William Palmer, who joined the East India Company in 1766 and rose to the position of military secretary to Governor General Warr ...
Most of the people of Calcutta are well aware of a great stretch of road, known as Old Court House Street, which as an extension of Red Road.
North Park Street Cemetery was also closed and the abandoned cemeteries became place of the anti-socials. This Street was obliterated from the heart of Calc ...
Once upon a time there was a French Cemetery in Calcutta, known as Tiretta's Cemetery. It was located diagonally opposite to the South Park Street Cemetery.