Ordnance Club in Calcutta, located on the Commissariat Road, near to the beautiful Prinsep Ghat and the Fort William, is a historic Regimental Institution of the Army Ordnance Corps and is one of the oldest and prestigious sports clubs of the city. Subsequent to the formation of the Board of Ordnance on 08 April 1775, this recreational centre was created, which was later established as a Club in 1907. The proprietary Institution, owned and managed by Ordnance Services Officers Welfare Society, was established with the aim of promoting sports and cultural activities of the members. However, the Rules of the Club were approved by the Government much later, in 1927.
Initially, the membership of the Club was restricted mostly among the British officers, British Warrant Officers and Indian Army Officers, though a few elite civilian officers were also permitted to be considered as members as exceptions. Nevertheless, the scenario completely changed after the independence of India in 1947, when the Club opened its membership to other civilians of various social standings on a restricted scale.
Regarded as one of the oldest and prestigious clubs of Calcutta, the Ordnance Club offers various sports facilities for its members, which include Cards, Billiards, Snooker, Squash, Tennis, Table Tennis, Badminton and Swimming. The club is also equipped with a modern Gym with excellent training facilities and infrastructure. Besides organising various cultural and entertainment programmes and events for the members, the Club also regularly conducts various State Ranking tournaments.
The Club has a lovely Roof Terrace overlooking the Swimming Pool, which is an added attraction for the members and is widely used for holding parties and functions. The centrally located all weather garden lobby, overlooking the lush green club lawns, is an adorable sit out space for relaxation. The smart leather sofas and triangular stools are positioned all along the lounge and the walkway. The walls façade, glass partitions spanning the length and the multi arched ceiling uplifts its beauty.
While Kafe Aroma, the Coffee Shop, offers a wide variety of confectionery, beverages and desserts, the civil bar, popularly called the 100 Pipers Bar, boasts of a wide range of exotic liquor.
The air conditioned dining hall, complete with the bold red and white décor and rich teak wooden paneling is complemented with boldly displayed Army Crests and insignias and presents an incredible restaurant ambience. Apart from all these attractions, the august Club is equipped with a centrally air conditioned Banquet Hall with wooden flooring & rich velvet décor, which presents an exquisite ambience.
The Grand Banquet Hall, equipped with a seating capacity of over 250 persons, has a central stage, independent main entrance, side entry doors, green room, bar and buffet area, which is widely utilized during various events, marriage functions and other corporate parties. Apart from that, the Hall also has an enviable dance area with psychedelic lights complete with well utilised during DJ and Disco nights.